Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STRIVING FOR REVIVAL OF PAKISTAN'S AIR-COOLED VW HERITAGE SINCE 2013

HomeHome  PACVWR PortalPACVWR Portal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  TechnicalTechnical  BlogBlog  Parts ShopParts Shop  RegisterRegister  Log in  Make a DonationMake a Donation  

PACVWR ADVERTS

Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sibghat

Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul? Empty
PostSubject: Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul?   Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm

MOD Edit:
Thread Title changed to best describe the subject problem and advice being sought; for ease of future searches on the subject by the users.

I am planning to refurb my car's engine for which planning to order some parts. Although my car's engine is normal with very good throttle and pick, but issue is that it makes knocking sound. Which according to some mechanics is due to play in the crank. Rest engine sound is with that whistle plus that knocks. What parts will I require like pistons, rings, bikens etc? how will I know the size number? Do you think that I should open the engine for this sound only?
Back to top Go down
rustbus
Super Moderator
rustbus

PostSubject: Re: Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul?   Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 pm

sibghat wrote:
I am planning to refurb my car's engine for which planning to order some parts. Although my car's engine is normal with very good throttle and pick, but issue is that it makes knocking sound. Which according to some mechanics is due to play in the crank. Rest engine sound is with that whistle plus that knocks. What parts will I require like pistons, rings, bikens etc? how will I know the size number? Do you think that I should open the engine for this sound only?
@sibghat, in order to seek good advice relating to engines, it is highly recommended to first give full description of the engine you're running, for instance 1300cc SP/DP etc. and any additional info that you might think would be helpful for others to answer your engine related query in best possible manner, such as if the motor runs on Petrol or CNG etc.

Assuming that yours is a 1300cc SP (coming from a 1966 bug?) please mention if your engine runs on Petrol or CNG or both? It would give us a fair idea on what to advice.

Regarding what size of parts to buy, it is only possible to know the exact size/condition of internal parts on a motor, once its opened up. You may or may not require, Pistons/Rings/Big End bearings etc. depending on the condition your motor turns out to be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacvwr.com/
sibghat

PostSubject: Re: Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul?   Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:23 pm

ohh i forgot to mention, its running on petrol from day 1, its 1300cc with dual port manifolds... the carb is smaller however as shown in following snap...

Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul? Snc00011
Back to top Go down
rustbus
Super Moderator
rustbus

PostSubject:    Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:10 pm

sibghat wrote:
ohh i forgot to mention, its running on petrol from day 1, its 1300cc with dual port manifolds... the carb is smaller however as shown in following snap...

Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul? Snc00011

Thats one clean engine right there! Guessing, the carb looks to be 30PICT? Play in the crank is one possible cause of knocking beside other reasons that are there, such as inappropriate octane rating (read milawat wala) fuel and or motor running hot. Yes, even when the motor runs hot, it tends to KNOCK when gas is fed.

I would suggest, as a first diagnoistic, please ensure that all engine bay seals are there and are in good shape, manifold is de-clogged with heat riser pipe all cleaned out. If that doesn't help, try and change your fuel station and see if that reduced the enging knocking. If sealing engine bay and changing fuel station doesn't help then let us know and we'll see if there is something more that we could do before simply suggesting to open up the motor.

Opening up an engine should be last resort with others alternatives all sorted out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacvwr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul?   Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul? Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine Knocking; Time for Engine Overhaul?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1